We started off the week with the news that Jeremy's National Guard unit was activated and he was to leave immediately for the gulf coast. He left our home Monday night and left Lawrence very early on Wednesday morning. That morning I received a heartbreaking call that Jeremy's grandmother had passed away at her home that morning. I was able to call Jeremy and tell him the news in person and for that I was grateful. It's never easy to tell anyone that someone they love is gone but when you are doing it over the phone it makes it even harder. After that, I began the process of making the calls to the American Red Cross. They help soldiers get home when there is a death or a crisis in the family. As you all know, never having lived on a military base or dealt with a deployment away from home (myself), I have never had to play the role of "Military Wife" but I made the calls and made things happen. Jeremy was able to be turned around in Arkansas and he headed home. We were so happy to see him, but so heartbroken for the our loss. We all loved Grandma Verhulst very much and are so sad that she will no longer be with us here on earth. We look forward to seeing her again some day! Life with Grandma around was never dull and she always had something funny to say. She would tell you exactly how she felt about things- there was no beating around the bush with this lady and for that I will always treasure her honesty. We can all learn a thing or two from people who say what they mean when they mean it. I think this is one of the traits my husband picked up from his Grandma:)
We had the funeral services on Saturday and as sad as funerals are to attend, it is always nice to be with family and loved ones. We spent the whole day with Jeremy's family and had a very nice time. Aaron had lots of fun watching and listening to his cousins!
Hope everyone is doing well. Please remember us in your prayers! We will know more soon whether Jeremy will have to return south. God bless,
Tiffany
12 years ago







2 comments:
I'm so sorry about your Grandmother. It sounds like you have had just a whirlwind of things happen in the past week. Please keep us posted on Jeremy's situation - should he be returning to the Gulf. We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers during these difficult times. XOXO....
Hey Tiff,
I am so sorry to hear about Jeremy's Grandma & his deployment. I am glad he was able to come home for the services. You all have had a difficult few months. I know we don't get to talk as much as we used to with our crazy lives, but I am always here for you if you ever need any help or just someone to talk to.
Whit
Post a Comment