Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ode to Midnight



We recently had to put my cat, Midnight, to sleep. He was a great pet for all nineteen years of his life! We miss him, but have wonderful memories of his sweet "kittyness."




When I look at this picture of me saying goodbye, I remember like yesterday when my dad took me to get him. I got Midnight for my tenth birthday. We found him in the newspaper from a lady who saw him and another kitty being dumped out on the side of the highway! Poor babies. She had other pets and could not keep him, but worked hard to find him a home. So into the arms of a thrilled, ten year old little girl he went! And since dad was a sucker, we got to get both kitties!! The other one was a Tom and ended up with my grandparents at the lake. On Midnight's first night home I tried to sleep with him under the covers. That didn't work very well (imagine that!) so instead, I turned on a lighted Fisher-Price globe so he wouldn't be scared in the dark room. He was such a fun kitty. With three kids in the household he got lots of attention. Especially around Christmas when my two-year old little brother made the ever-famous quote, "Midnight! Don't go near da twee!! Don't go near the twee!" as Midnight attempted to sneak under the Christmas tree. That spring and summer he was so tolerant of my sister and I dressing him up in doll clothes! Midnight was such a "begger" and was up on my mom's lap every morning as she ate her breakfast. Lately, he just slept on the couch, on the bed, in the sun. Wherever he could find a cozy spot.



We are so glad for memories like these and he will forever be missed.

2 comments:

BNW Photography said...

I am so sorry. I am sure it must have been a hard day. I'll never forget something that I read about losing a pet....it goes something like this....

...."dogs and cats come into this world already knowing how to love. that's why God only keeps them here for a short time. humans come into this world and we have to learn how to love....that's why God keeps us here so much longer."

hugs....

The Helms Family said...

I am so sorry to hear about Midnight. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. Take care and God Bless!