We are also dealing with some frustrating behavior (Aaron's frustration with not being about to vocalize his wants and needs) and our gut instinct is that some of it is related to his slight speech delay. Aaron received speech therapy from the time he was about 4 months until he was 14 months to do his hearing loss. Over the summer Aaron was on target with language development and we decided it was okay to discontinue speech therapy as our much loved therapist moved away. We completed a developmental screen at this time to make sure he was where he should be. Lately we've noticed that he isn't really making many gains in his speech and his language and vocabulary are not exploding as is typical for this age. We made the decision to start back into First Steps, Missouri's program for kiddos with disabilities. The process is that first Aaron will be screened and he must have at least a 50% delay in speech for us to receive services again. If he qualifies he will get speech therapy again, if not, we will enroll Aaron into a special speech program through Parents as Teachers.
He's excelling in all other areas of development scoring above and beyond on cognitive skills so we are just hoping to catch him up in speech before he gets too far behind as a speech delay can be devastating for a school age child, especially when it comes to learning to read.
Lesson: Wait for mom before climbing into the bath.
Trying out the Bumbo
"Hiding" in the nook in our closet
Under mommy and daddy's bed with Duke. And the bonus of this picture was that I found my lip balm that had gone missing when a certain toddler walked off with it one day! See if you can spot it...
Caught in the act, and with a HUGE grin on his face! Aaron has learned how to fill up containers with water from the fridge. Those things really need shut off valves! His container of choice happens to be the shot glasses he gets out of my wine rack! He also likes to fill up the dog's water with it. It takes a LOT of shot glasses to do that, and a lot of dishtowels to clean up the "dribbles."
Helping with dishes. He actually dragged a chair over and climbed up to help. Wonder if he'll still help with the dishes when he's 13??









2 comments:
What a silly little boy! I loved the picture of him under the bed - and I did spot the chapstick. What a clever fella! I love the stage we are at now, but I look forward to these moments that are ahead of us! Hope all is well with the family!
On My what a busy boy! I think patients is the word here. :) I love the bath time one! I can already see Drake doing all of these things!
Post a Comment