Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Answers

Aaron had his appointment at the ENT clinic today and I am so happy to finally have some answers and a plan of action. Aaron's ear looked great, his infection was cleared up, but he still had fluid. They did a few more tests to confirm this and he definitely still had fluid. They also did another hearing screen to see if his hearing was improved once his infection was treated. Side note: Since I didn't blog about this I need to update some of you. Last time Aaron had his hearing checked, two days later he showed up with an ear infection so we thought that this could possibly be a reason he had fluid. Back to the present: His hearing screen still showed some minor deficits, but better than the mild to moderate loss he showed last time. After the testing, the doctor looked in his ears and saw fluid and decided to go ahead and do tubes since he has the hearing loss. Tubes should completely resolve the loss if it is a physical problem. While he is sedated for the surgery, they are also going to do another hearing test that is more of a brain stem test. It is the same test they did on him as an infant, but now since he's older they have to be sedated. They would normally not sedate just for the test, but since he will already have the sedation for the tube placement, they can just do it then. He'll have his tubes placed next week and I was so happy they could get us in so quickly. Jeremy will be off work because he is having his wisdom teeth removed so I will get to be Major Nurse next week and take care of my boys here then go to work and care for patients!! I wouldn't change it for the world:)
Love,
Tiff

2 comments:

Amber said...

I am glad to hear you are getting your questions answered - always making you feel better! I'm sure all will go well. I feel sorry for you being home with 2 sick boys next week! I'm not sure which will be worse, the big boy or the lil' guy! :) If it were in my household, I could bet that Jason would be more of a hassle to take care of!!!! :) Best of luck to you next week - you will be Super Mom and Super Nurse all in one!!!!

Whitney and Dustin said...

Glad to hear that things can be fixed with tubes. Almost the exact same thing happened to my brother Hunter when he was younger. We could defiantly tell a difference in his hearing once the tubes were in! I will be thinking of you next week! You are going to be one busy woman! Good Luck with everything.